Thoughts. (Updated frequently)

"Lets be honest; the person I lie to most is myself. "

Sunday 25 March 2012

Write a letter

Dear Christine,

How are you? I've just been lazying around at home on a Sunday and decided to write you a letter. I'm so slack, I really should be doing my management assignment due tomorrow. But you know me, I procrastinate whenever I have the chance. Its like I get some sort of sick thrill from leaving assignments to the last minute and completing them just before it is due. It may have worked for me all through high school, but this bad habit should NOT be carried on to university.


Anyways, where in the world are you now? I know that you've always loved travelling. Maybe your new career path has taken you somewhere exciting and exotic? Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, I hope you are having the time of your life.


I'm doing okay, still settling in and getting used to everything after about a month. I have a lot more freedom, but with freedom comes a price. I have to learn to take better care of myself. I now have to cook and clean for myself too. But that was something I need to do sooner or later anyway. I still miss all my friends and family in NZ, but its slowly getting better.


Is your hair still brown with an orange tinge, and length way past your elbows? I remember how important your hair was to you, and how your friends would occasionally joke about cutting it short when you weren't looking.  


Are you are taking good care of yourself? You always had the worst eating habits. And sleeping patterns. I hope you aren't still making your mum worried about your health and well-being at 28 years old.


Speaking of parents, how are they? Your mum must be past her mid-life crisis by now. I remember making fun of her during dinner, telling her that she is only years away from being half a century old, even though at that time she was only 43.
And your father? He always loved you and was never afraid to show it. Some people say hes intimidating upon first impression but I know he is really soft and caring on the inside.
Has Justin matured? He was always the biggest trouble maker of the bunch, always annoying Julia and making her cry. Angela had to step up when you left for Australia, being the oldest sister in the house. I'm excited to see them all grown up.


I miss my grandparents. Are they doing well? Both grandmothers like to call me occasionally and ask how I'm doing. They are so sweet, it's weird not being able to see them around anymore. I know health deteriorates with age, but I really do hope they can stay healthy and live forever.

I have a secret to tell you. When I think about the future, I get a little bit scared. I have no idea what I am doing right now, no idea where I will be going after I finish my degree at university. I haven't even decided what I am going to major in. The future seems so distant. There is just so much uncertainty, it scares me sometimes.
Is it still too early to be thinking about it? After all, I am only 18. I still have my whole life ahead of me.

Do you remember when you chose to go to university in Australia? Leaving everything you knew behind, and entering a whole lot of unknown? It was the first time you felt like you had to learn to be independent. All your life before that moment was very easy. You were under the protection of your parents, and in the comfort of your circle of friends. Everything you wanted was basically handed to you. You never had to try really hard to get something you wanted. You are a very fortunate person, Christine Yang.

I wonder where that decision has led you to now. Do you have many friends? And do you still keep in touch with your old ones from NZ? I know how much they meant to you back then. You guys would joke about how you would all be friends forever and how your children would fall in love with their children etc etc. 

Are you happy now?

Please write back, I want to know how you are doing.

       Yours sincerely,


2 comments: